Want to start a business; so, what’s stopping you?
You want to start your own business but don know where to start. From discovering your idea to celebrating your success here are some tips to get you going. So, if you want to start a business, grab yourself a cuppa, a pad and a pen, get comfy and start thinking…
First of all, really consider if being self-employed is really for you:
There are loads of great reasons to start your own business and become your own boss, to name just a few, you can:
- Do a job that you feel totally passionate about
- Work when and where you want to
- Make your work, work round your family, rather than the other way around.
- Make all the decisions, so your business is exactly how you want it to be
There are also lots of downsides that need to be considered too:
- There is no salary anymore, you need to make your own money
- It takes a lot of time to build a successful business
- There are a lot of costs involved – In the beginning there is likely to be little money coming in, but a lot going out
- You are responsible for everything; the buck stops with you
- You can’t hide behind policies or management if something doesn’t quite go right
- You have no colleagues to work with
All of these factors need to be considered; running a business isn’t for everyone, but if it is… what do you do next?
Not got a business idea yet?
No? Well now is the time to get one!
- Think about all the things you enjoy doing; hobbies, aspects of your current job
- Also, what totally turns you off? What jobs do you just not enjoy?
- What interests you, are there particular industries that you’d love to work in?
- When people turn to you for help, what is it that they need?
- Once you have your lists, start to boil all this down to see if you can find something that you can do that others will want.
Has an idea or two tumbled out that you’d like to explore?
Before you go charging into creating your business plan, or even worse, actually trying to create your business, you need to firm up your ideas. First take some time to consider what it is you want to achieve and the hurdles you might face in achieving them, is your business idea realistic based on the time, budget and skills you have available?
At Brilliant Together, we run a Start-Up Discovery package, which helps you shape your ideas and weigh up all the pros and cons before you go much further. Get in touch if you want to find out more.
Don’t let lack of time stop you from launching a business, read “how to find the time to start your business when you’re also a mum” as to how to juggle a new business, children and the house!
- clarify your business idea
- Identifiy potential problems
- set out your goals
- measure your progress
Once you’ve planned out what you want to do, it’s time to get cracking!
As a small business owner, there is so much to do, so make sure your business model starts small. Don’t wait until you have the perfect business with all the bells and whistles. If you take too long the market may have changed, a competitor might have taken over your space, or you might run out of money and interest. So, launch with your most basic model and then grow from there.
Don’t waste all your time trying to do everything yourself. There are somethings you just won’t be good at and these things will zap all your time and enthusiasm. Outsource where you can, read more about how to do this “Build a virtual team of independent businesses”
If you’re looking to get outside help, try to find people that come via a referral, there is nothing worse than spending time or money on someone who proves not right for your business. We have a trusted team of experts you can call on, if you want a starter for 10, all of which I have used when creating Brilliant Together. Check out our Brilliant People team.
Keep revisiting the plan
You didn’t write your Business Plan as an academic exercise! You wrote it, so you’d know what to do and when, so revisit it and keep revising it. In the early days, make a point of reading it at least once a month, to make sure your keeping focused on what it is you’re trying to achieve. Revise it as your plans change and keep it current. I know, there’s so much to do, you haven’t got time to keep on writing, but a good plan will stop you from wasting time on things that don’t deliver towards your goal.
Celebrate your successes
Just because you work on your own, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t celebrate milestones. Remember to look back on what you’ve done and feel proud, it will keep you moving forward!
Read some of our related blogs:
- Start your business from your kitchen table
- How to find the time to start your business when you’re also a mum
- Build a virtual team of independent businesses
- Work from Home – How to avoid feeling isolated
- The Brilliant Together Story – How I went from Corporate Life to running my own Small Business
About Brilliant Together
Do you need help with setting up your business?
If you need support and guidance in getting your business up and running, and growing then give us a shout.
Brilliant Together is a small business consultancy. We provide expert business advice and support to businesses looking to launch or grow. We specialise in Business Plans, Marketing strategy and Planning; see our services. We also have a network of experts in a wide range of areas from Accountancy to Web-design and everything in between! So what-ever you need, we can connect you to someone who can help. See some of our Brilliant People.
If you want to know how I can help you build your business dreams into a successful reality, get in touch.